Before moving out of the Residence, please refer to the Occupancy Agreement and End of Term Arrangements document for the terms governing your departure and helpful tips.
As you prepare to move out, there are a number of things you need to keep in mind:
Move-Out Check List
- Confirm your final exam and move-out date information we have on file for you is correct.
- If you require an extension or if your final exam information we sent you is incorrect, fill out an Occupancy Extension Form by March 27th.
- Make sure to read the End of Term Arrangements documents for more detailed information.
- Book your room inspection at the Front Desk by March 30th.
If you are living at Innis in the Summer:
- You do not need to move out and move back in.
- You will be give a specific move-over date and time indicating when you will be required to move into your summer room.
- You will be send more information from firstname.lastname@example.org
Checking Out & Room Inspections
- Whether you are withdrawing early or moving out at the end of the academic year, you must check out of your room properly.
- An e-mail indicating your latest possible move-out date is distributed to every resident so that you can prepare the bedroom and suite for your departure. The letter outlines your expected move out date and responsibilities. It is your responsibility to return the bedroom and suite to the condition in which it was found when you moved in.
- Once move-out information has been e-mailed out you will be required to schedule a move-out inspection at the Front Desk.
- The inspection should be scheduled very close to your departure from the building. You will be responsible for signing off on the condition of the room and returning your key at the time of your inspection. You will not have access to your bedroom once the inspection has been completed – all cleaning and packing must be completed prior to your inspection time.
Damages & Liabilities
- All rooms are checked immediately upon a resident’s departure at the end of the academic year for maintenance, safety and security reasons.
- If there is any damage or anything missing from the room or suite (other than regular wear and tear), the resident will be charged (or the cost may be divided between the suitemates).
- Extra cleaning or the removal of any additional garbage will result in the resident and/or suitemates being charged.
- Evidence of burning candles, cigarette smoking or the possession of prohibited items such as pets, weapons, or unauthorized appliances and/or furniture may result in sanctions. As staff members of the University of Toronto, the Residence Staff is legally bound to report any evidence of unlawful acts or prohibited substances found within the rooms and/or suites.
Donations and Lost & Found
- At the end of the academic year during the move-out process, residents are asked to donate any food or clothing to the various charities we support.
- Any lost and found items not claimed by the start of the summer session are kindly donated to charities.
- Donation bins will be set up in the Residence Lobby during the move-out period.
Changing your move out date
We understand that you may not be planning on moving out on the date specified in your departure e-mail. If so, you must consider the following:
- If for extenuating circumstances you cannot move out until after the specified date, you may request an extension. Nobody is guaranteed an extension and if you are granted one, you will have to pay $25.00 for each additional day you stay.
- If you plan on moving out before the specified date, simply book your move-out appointment for that earlier date. There are no restrictions on how early you can move out.
- If the information about your last final exam is incorrect in your e-mail, complete and submit an Occupancy Extension Form by March 27th.
- If you will be staying for the summer, you will be sent more information from the Summer Residence Coordinator, about when you will have to move to your summer room. You should plan on having to move on the days immediately following the last day of exams. Do not plan to be away from the Residence on the weekend after the last day of exams, as you must move into your summer room at this time. Please note that you do not have to move out of Residence between the date of your last exam and the date you move into your new summer room.
To request an extension, complete the Occupancy Extension Form and return it to the Residence Office no later than March 27th.