Winter Closure Period
The Innis Residence closes each year over the Winter Break, as most of our residents go home. While you are free to leave your belongings in your room over the break, it is important to note that you will have no access to the building during this time. The winter closure allows our staff, including most of our Dons, Front Desk staff, maintenance and cleaning staff, and administrators to go home and visit family for the holidays. Additionally, most of our residents go home anyway.
This year, the Innis Residence will be closed from 12:00pm on SATURDAY, DECEMBER 21st, 2013 to 12:00pm on SATURDAY, JANUARY 4th, 2014.
The University of Toronto’s Housing Services Office provides many resources for locating temporary accommodation on campus.
For a list of accommodation options please click here. For more information and resources please visit Student Housing Services.
Instructions for residents before they leave:
In order for us to provide you with a clean living environment and ensure ongoing upkeep of the Residence, we require you to:
- Please take out all garbage and recycling from your bedroom and common areas. Failure to take out you garbage and recycling will result in a $100.00 fine.
- Please close all windows. Failure to close all windows will result in a $100.00 fine.
- Please make sure all personal belongings and furniture is removed from in front of your heating/air conditioning units (these are the long metal panels below the lo/med/hi dials of your heating units (not every bedroom has this unit). If anything is left blocking these units you will be charged $100.00.
- Please hand in your key to the Front Desk staff when you are leaving for the holidays. You will be required to sign out and confirm you have completed the above three things. You will be able to pick up your key from the Front Desk when you return to Innis in January. If you do no hand in your key to the Front Desk before you leave for the holidays you will lose internet access for the month of January.
In addition to the above, we require your assistance to help secure the building from fire, damage, water damage, excessive utility charges and pests by your completion of the following tasks:
- Remove all dishes and other items from the kitchen sink and counter tops in your kitchen;
- The building may periodically lose power over the break. Please ensure all electronics and devices (e.g. computers, alarm clocks etc.) are unplugged and turned off before you leave. The Innis residence and the University of Toronto are not responsible for any loss of data or damage to equipment due to a potential power surge;
- Remember to clean-out and remove all perishable items from your mini-fridge, but keep it plugged in so it doesn’t defrost and leak all over the carpet;
- Secure your valuable items (e.g. jewelery, movies, etc.);
- Wash all dishes (do not leave dirty dishes, pots, pans, etc. in sinks and on counters); remove all perishable items from your fridge and cupboards;
- Check that the stove and oven are turned off and that small electrical appliances are unplugged (e.g. kettle, rice cooker, curling irons, hair dryers, toasters);
- Remove all outdated notices and holiday decorations from your suite bulletin board;
- Clean your suite & turn off all lights in the bedrooms and suite, including any Christmas or decorative lights;
- Close all bedroom and suite windows and doors.
Simply complete the above mentioned tasks to avoid being fined up to $300.00 and potentially losing internet access for the month of January. If you have any questions regarding what you need to do before you leave please don’t hesitate to speak to your Don or come down to the Residence Office.